Injury/Illness Prevention Case Study
As the new Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) manager for the CSU Widget Factory, you recently completed a study of the injuries entered on the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 300 form over the past 12 months. Your findings revealed the following:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Eight employees were treated for various levels of heat strain during the summer months. Six were working indoors in the warehouse, and two were working outdoors doing grounds maintenance. All were first aid injuries.
- There were six forklift accidents that resulted in injuries:
- Five electrical shocks were reported in the machine shop. All occurred during routine equipment maintenance. All were medical treatment injuries, but none resulted in days away from work.
- There were nine eye injuries in the machine shop. Five were foreign particles in the eye and four were machine oil splashes. All were reported as first aid injuries.
- Six employees in the plating shop were treated for inhalation of solvent vapors. Two resulted in lost workdays, and the others were medical treatment injuries.
To reduce workplace injuries, select three program areas from the analysis above that should receive immediate attention. Select three OSH programs from the following:
- Heat Stress, Powered Industrial Vehicles, Material Handling and Storage, Hazardous Energy Control (Lockout / Tagout), Personal Protect Equipment (PPE), Respiratory Protection Program
- Discuss why the specific OSH program area was selected.
- Explain how you would identify and assess the hazards related to this program area.
- Discuss some possible hazard control measures that could be used to reduce risk.
- Identify training requirements for the program area.
- Propose methods for ensuring employees comply with safety procedures.
Your submission must be in APA format, and a minimum of three pages in length, not including title and reference pages. At least two reference sources must be used to support your discussion. One of the references can be the course textbook. Additional references should be articles from professional journals, recognized safety organizations, or other OSH textbooks. Contact your professor if you have questions about specific references.