On July 1, 2015, Truman Company acquired a 70 percent interest in Atlanta Company in exchange for…

On July 1, 2015, Truman Company acquired a 70 percent interest in Atlanta Company in exchange for consideration of $763,175 in cash and equity securities. The remaining 30 percent of Atlanta’s shares traded closely near an average price that totaled $327,075 both before and after Truman’s acquisition.

      In reviewing its acquisition, Truman assigned a $104,500 fair value to a patent recently developed by Atlanta, even though it was not recorded within the financial records of the subsidiary. This patent is anticipated to have a remaining life of five years.

      The following financial information is available for these two companies for 2015. In addition, the subsidiary’s income was earned uniformly throughout the year. Subsidiary dividend payments were made quarterly.

Save your time - order a paper!

Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlines

Order Paper Now

                                                                                        TRUMAN        ATLANTA   Revenues $ (715,065 ) $ (470,000 )   Operating expenses 441,000 295,000   Income of subsidiary (53,935 )            Net income $ (328,000 ) $ (175,000 )      Retained earnings, 1/1/15 $ (920,000 ) $ (546,000 )   Net income (above) (328,000 ) (175,000 )   Dividends declared 140,000 90,000      Retained earnings, 12/31/15 $ (1,108,000 ) $ (631,000 )      Current assets $ 516,390 $ 466,000   Investment in Atlanta 785,610   Land 412,000 271,000   Buildings 752,000 652,000         Total assets $ 2,466,000 $ 1,389,000   Liabilities $ (858,000 ) $ (438,000 )   Common stock (95,000 ) (300,000 )   Additional paid-in capital (405,000 ) (20,000 )   Retained earnings, 12/31/15 (1,108,000 ) (631,000 )      Total liabilities and stockholders’ equity $ (2,466,000 ) $ (1,389,000 ) A. How did Truman allocate Atlanta’s acquisition-date fair value to the various assets acquired and liabilities assumed in the combination?

B. How did Truman allocate the goodwill from the acquisition across the controlling and noncontrolling interests? C.How did Truman derive the Investment in Atlanta account balance at the end of 2015?

D. Prepare a worksheet to consolidate the financial statements of these two companies as of December 31, 2015

 

Looking for a Similar Assignment? Let us take care of your classwork while you enjoy your free time! All papers are written from scratch and are 100% Original. Try us today! Use Code FREE15